Join the conversation
Leave a voice message at https://anchor.fm/the-art-of-mathematics. We welcome comments or puzzles to share on the air.
Let’s get in touch
We are always looking for guests, pure mathematicians who can step back from their specialty and speak to a general audience. Guests and co-hosts appear by phone. Most episodes are about 15 minutes. Here are some things we might discuss:
- How did you first get interested in math?
- Why did you decide to go into math?
- How do you explain what you do to non-mathematicians?
- How do you explain why you do it?
- How do you visualize abstract mathematical objects?
- What are some of the stereotypes or assumptions you’ve heard about mathematicians?
- What are some misconceptions about math or mathematicians that you’d like to correct?
- Does your spouse understand what you do?
- Why do you do something no one understands?
- What do you tell people when they ask what it’s used for?
- Is math really an art?
- Any books, films, problems, etc. to recommend that convey the art of mathematics to non-mathematicians?
In any case, we’d be interested in your ideas for topics or puzzles or comments on any of our shows.
Don’t be a stranger
- Phone – +1 562-421-3412 and leave a message
- Address – Jacoby Consulting,
4429 Village Rd. #121 Long Beach, CA 90808